Monday, May 9, 2011

When a nice holiday goes down the toilet

My Mother’s Day started with an early morning and ended with the donning of a plastic glove to remove floaters from the tub. I’ve been a mom for almost 5 years now and this is the first time I’ve experienced poop in the tub. I consider myself lucky to have had this streak and wish it had continued. I wholeheartedly wish it had continued! I have enough trouble giving my kids a bath and adding bowel movements to the mix is just not what I hoped for. Bud had just dumped all of the bath toys in the tub and I saw something floating and of course I wasn’t sure what it was at first (this being my first experience) and I had to get really close to make it out. I realized what it was and shrieked said “WHO POOPED?” while I scrambled to get the kids out of the tub. (Bud was sure to quickly answer that it wasn't him!) Oh, and while I call them “floaters” let me reassure you that to spice things up a bit a few of them were sinkers so I had to gingerly reach down and get the turds at the bottom without getting the contaminated bath water in my plastic glove (thanks mom for bringing those disposable gloves for truffle making a few months ago…ironically I ended up using them for something that had an eerie resemblance to truffles).

Now what makes me upset about this whole thing is that whenever Babe has to poop she gets kind of scared and cries and says “potty, potty, potty!”so I at least have some warning and usually have enough time to get her on the potty in time. I don’t know if it was the hot water or what but there was no panic or crying or ANY sign of the impending outcome. She just went about her business and when I started pulling them out of the tub she seemed confused about what was going on. Kid, you just pooped in the tub! What do you think I’m freaking out about??! Work with me here!!

So I get everything out of the tub and now I have kids, toys, and a tub that have been sitting in poop water. May I say, EWWWW!!! I cleaned the tub and toys with bleach but I didn’t think it was appropriate to wash the kids with bleach. I was tempted but I was able to resist! I also really didn’t want to put them in the tub with all the bleach (was a full bottle of bleach too much to use?). I rinsed it really good but I still didn’t like the idea. At this point Bud is holding his nose and saying “what stinks?” I told him it’s either bleach or poop and I wasn’t sure which was worse.

Happy Mother’s Day to me!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I can't imagine! I don't even know what I will do if this happened! Maybe I should start using swim diapers in the tub, just to be on the safe side :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never happened to me, but it did happen to my husband. While he was in the bathtub with the offending child. And didn't realize it right away. But guess who ended up cleaning it up. Not him.

    I should be happy...my lucky streak lasted about 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dayna, I am SO glad that I wasn't also in the tub. I...I...I just don't know how I would have handled that.

    ReplyDelete