Monday, May 2, 2011

Just do your best...

I am a competitive person. I can’t help it. But I think I’m going to have to do something about it or the headlines will read “Woman goes ballistic during little league t-ball game.”

Bud had a hit, pitch, run competition this weekend. Now let me start out by saying that I am not at all a supporter of “everyone gets a trophy just for participating.” I think you need to earn a trophy. It’s a reason to work hard, to play well, to get better, to keep trying. Now, I don’t think kids should not be praised if they don’t win. I do think everyone should be praised for trying hard but what does a kid learn if they can pick daisies in the outfield the entire season and still get a trophy and heaps of praise? I think giving everyone top honors just for participating takes the thrill of victory away from those who did their best and came out ahead. Make them want it! On the other hand, I think it’s really stupid for first-year t-ballers to participate in a competition like this. Most of the kids are just learning how to throw a ball and judging them on their “skills” after 4 practices hardly seems fair to competitive parents.

We arrived at the competition and before it got underway the coach told the kids to run a lap to get warmed up. Bud wasn’t feeling it (he can be incredibly shy at first) so I tried taking his hand and doing it with him. The whole time he dragged his feet and I had all I could do to not pick him up and run so he wasn’t last. This was just the warm up lap. I may or may not have a problem.

I had to keep reminding myself that he is 4 and this is not a big deal at all, just a little weekend outing. Thankfully for my sanity he came around as it was time to start the competition. He’s the littlest one on the team (boy or girl) so I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect. I’m happy to say he did try his hardest. He didn’t come anywhere near being the best but he really did try hard and made an effort. That’s all I wanted for him. As long as he tries hard and doesn’t give up I’ll be proud of him, win or lose.

I just hope I can rein myself in so I don’t become a deterrent to him playing. I don’t want to be that parent that freaks out on my kid if he’s not the best. I know I’m certainly not the best and I know I could have given more effort throughout the years. Perhaps that’s why I have such a hard time when he doesn’t try. Because I know how much of a difference it makes. Doesn’t every parent wish their kid doesn’t make the same mistakes as them? I do hope Bud gets my competitive spirit so he can always do his best…I just hope I can teach him that trying his best is the most important thing even if his mom goes home crying after he loses a game.

1 comment:

  1. I totally get your competitiveness! I feel the same way. My middle child just signed up for t-ball...we'll see how i behave. My oldest inherited the same gene. Last week she told me "i hate track...but i also hate to lose.". Lol. It totally cracked me up. The drive also gave her 1st place in the 400 m dash.

    ReplyDelete