Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cavities would not be better. (At least that's what I'm telling myself)

First, thank you everyone for your support through this very difficult time. I'm happy to say I handled it really well. I mean Bud handled it really well. Yeah, Bud, I mean Bud. Ahem.

He handled it like a champ. A champ that slept through the bout but a champ nonetheless! I wasn't allowed in the room while they worked on him (totally ok with me) but they came and gave me updates throughout. According to the dentist he slept through most of it and was very cooperative when he was awake. (Yay Bud!)

That's the good news.

Of course, there has to be some bad news too.


The dentist office was really great and had me complete all the paperwork and stuff before they were done with him so I was able to leave as soon as they brought him out. I carried him to the car and I wanted to see how his mouth looked so I asked him to open up. My reaction (thankfully in my head) was something along the lines of "HOLY HELL!"

He had to get crowns (I knew this going in) but they used SILVER crowns! Silver! My 4 year old has SILVER TEETH! WTH? Why the heck would you use SILVER crowns? I already feel bad enough that his mouth was basically one big cavity, did they really need to add insult to injury?


At one point before they got started the nurse asked me if we wanted silver or white fillings. Of course, I answered white. Who wants any silver in their mouth? This isn't 1960! I didn't even think about the possibility of the crowns being silver!

Sigh.

He's still sleeping off the sedation so I haven't had another chance to really inspect his mouth but I know I have to figure out how to make this positive in his eyes. I know I need to hide my real thoughts about how it looks but it's going to be hard. I'm thinking maybe I'll tell him they are magic crowns. They will magically make his teeth healthy and happy and he's really lucky to have such magic crowns in his mouth! I hope I can sell it! I also hope he stays asleep a while longer so I can practice my brave face!

I'll just keep telling myself that silver teeth are better than cavities.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh - why would they use silver if you specifically said white?! I'd be mad at the dentist.

    I have a silver filling from back in the day that is noticeable in big smile pictures, but I don't think it has ever really bothered me. I hope Bud feels the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you (both) made it through!

    Ugh...so sorry about the silver. That bites. Haha, sorry for the terrible pun.

    Anyway, I believe in you and your brave face. You're gonna make this kid wish all his teeth were silver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely go with the magic line! I am sure there is a cute kids book about it...if not, maybe you could write one!?!?

    ReplyDelete