Friday, June 22, 2012

Milestones


Dear Bud,

Wow! You finished kindergarten and lost your first tooth all in the same day! I still can’t believe that you are old enough to be losing teeth let alone being ready to start 1st grade! I mean sure, every kid is bound to grow up, but it’s all a little surreal that I’m old enough to have a child old enough to lose his teeth.

You had a little rough experience losing your first tooth. I was not home so this is the story as you and Dad retold it.

After Dad cut your hair and gave you a bath he noticed your tooth hanging at a 90 degree angle from the rest of your teeth. It was definitely time to pull it! So he rigged up a slip knot with some dental floss (did you know Dad has serious MacGyver skills? He does.) and, after quite a few tries and with the aid of a tooth pick, he got it slipped over your tooth. He didn’t want to traumatize you so he let you try a few tugs to see if you could get it out. You’re too much like me and made a few half hearted attempts but the tooth remained attached. Dad waited until you were distracted (probably by Kitty Witty Ranger) and when he saw you weren’t paying attention he popped it out. Your tooth went flying and hit the ground. You and Babe immediately started jumping around and cheering! (I really wish I was there for that part!) You didn’t cry and said it hurt only a little. You’re a very big boy! Dad put a tissue in your mouth to stop the bleeding, which didn’t take long. Shortly after the big event I called to say I was on my way home. You and Dad told me the good news and then Dad said your tummy wasn’t feeling too good. We talked for a bit longer until he said “Oh no, Bud just threw up. Gotta go!” He put you back in the shower and hosed you off and you told him you had to go to the bathroom. You proceeded to empty your body of any matter in your digestive tract. He said you turned pale and he was afraid you were going to pass out. Scary! Thankfully, by the time I got home you were back to your rambunctious self with an eventful tale to tell of losing your first tooth.

I’m not sure what caused the vomiting and diarrhea but I think you might have some of Dad in you too and your body doesn’t handle any sort of trauma (shots, etc.) very well and that was your physical reaction. I sincerely hope you don’t have this reaction every time you lose a tooth!

I knew if we put your ity bity tooth under your pillow it would never be found so I had you set it next to your bed on the window sill so the Tooth Fairy would have easy access. You’re always a good sport! 

You told us a few days ago that you hoped the Tooth Fairy brought you half dollars. You already stole took all the half dollars we had and put them in your piggy bank so we had to settle for the Sacagawea dollar coin. It wasn’t exactly what you wanted but a little disappointment never hurt anyone you had a big ol grin on your face when you saw the coin. I know it was an ok substitute from your reaction and I’m glad.

I’m excited to see what your smile will look like when that first adult tooth pops through. All I know is that right now, I love your smile!


I love you forever,
Mom





Lily

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy (or man!) he looks so old! I hEard the Tooth Fairy was dropping fives now, and there's no way the one who comes to our house is leaving that much dough. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Bud had such a rough go at losing his first tooth, but man, that is one handsome kid there, even with a gap in his smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put the tooth in a baggie under her pillow. Then I won't lose it. Now remembering to leave money...that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how eventful! Glad he is feeling better and now loaded with coin too! Congrats on moving onto first grade.

    ReplyDelete