Friday, March 16, 2012

Colon Cancer Challenge

You’ve heard me mention (plenty of times) that I’ll be running in a charity race in April. I’d like to take this opportunity to tell you a little more about it.

I’ll be running in the Colon Cancer Challenge in New York City on April 1 in memory of my Grandfather. He died in September 2001 (yes, JUST before 9/11 – my Aunt from Seattle couldn’t make it to his funeral because of the attacks) from colon cancer. My cousin J has run in this race for a long time and this year her sister K, me, and my husband will run about 100 yards behind her the whole time alongside her. My other cousin (their sister) and their mom will participate in the walk and the rest of our family will be there to cheer us on and pick me up out of the gutter when I collapse from exhaustion. The Colon Cancer Challenge supports research into the causes and cures for colorectal cancer, increasing public awareness, and educating the public about the importance of early detection.

(Get ready, this is the part where I ask for money.)

The Colon Cancer Challenge Foundation can’t exist without support. The link below directs you to their page where you can make a donation. Don’t be scared by the first options listed. I’m not expecting anyone to give $100 and certainly not $1,200, but you can enter your own amount at the bottom. If everyone gave just a little, we can be that much closer to a cure, that much closer to saving our loved ones.


You can learn more about the foundation by clicking the "home" link at the bottom of the donation page. 

I hope you’ll support me in this, even if you can’t give money this time, I hope that you’ll pray that I don’t make a fool of myself send your prayers on April 1 around 9am as we run the hilly (ugh) loops of Central Park.


Lily

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

2 comments:

  1. Lily, I'm so proud of you for doing this. I'll pop right over and donate what I can. You'll do great; I just know it!

    ReplyDelete